Senior / Principal Ecologist Role
Full or Part Time – Senior/Principal Ecologist $90k – $110k / year
Treetec has an excellent opportunity for a proven Ecologist / Botanist to join our team in Melbourne.
This role offers technical growth through working across a range of environments. You will contribute as part of an established team and lead a variety of projects. Primarily a managerial role, with great flexibility, home/desk based – overseeing teams and projects. Field work is an option, not a necessity.
Treetec is an arboricultural and ecological company with specialist skills in canopy-based research, ecological survey and assessments as well as ecological restoration and habitat creation. As such, our team includes specialists in both the arboriculture and ecology fields. We undertake ecological restoration and habitat creation, nest box installation & monitoring, camera trap surveys, long-term monitoring, project management, botanical surveys, data analysis and consulting.
Clients include DELWP, VicTrack, Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research (ARI), La Trobe University, Parks Victoria, Zoos Victoria, VicRoads, WSP Australia, MRPV, VPA, Melbourne Water and various councils.
Treetec has a strong reputation, working efficiently to safely deliver client outcomes. We bring together specialist people, equipment and resources as needed.
In collaboration with the team, you will develop and manage Treetec’s ecological projects. Specifically:
- Project planning- preparing or overseeing the preparation of proposal documentation for grant and tender submissions
- Acting as primary liaison with clients and relevant departments (e.g. DELWP, Parks Victoria)
- Managing project approvals and ensuring compliance with applicable conditions
- Managing project timelines and logistics, including the scheduling of field teams/resources, and defining project roles and responsibilities
- Supporting field teams with relevant information, documentation and project specifications/scope
- Overseeing and contributing to data compilation, management and submission (including GIS)
- Preparing project reports in line with relevant contracts/agreements to ensure reporting deadlines are met
The position offers scope for writing/overseeing research publications, development and oversight for internally developed projects, compliance monitoring and marketing: creating and managing content on social media and the web.
The applicant must:
- Maintain professional relationships with all clients
- Maintain a solid understanding of Commonwealth, State and Local Government environmental regulations and their application as well as relevant industry standards, practices and approvals processes
- Have experience developing and managing research projects
You should have:
- A tertiary qualification in Ecology, Zoology, and/or Natural Resource Management or equivalent
- A minimum five years postgraduate experience in a relevant field
- Excellent fauna species ID skills and understanding of south-eastern Australian ecology
- Working knowledge of consulting practice plus excellent project management skills
- Previous experience of leading/managing teams
- If undertaking field work – current manual driver’s licence, White Card and First Aid Certificate
- A focus on safe work practices and culture
- The ability to stay focussed and self-motivated
- A home office
The following would be an advantage:
- An understanding of the principles of Habitat Hectare assessments (VQA accreditation)
- Flexibility to stay away and undertake field work
- Workplace safety compliance expertise
- 4wd training and chainsaw operation certifications
Please forward your application or questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arboricultural Team leader / Consultant
Treetec is seeking an experienced Consulting Arborist to work with us.
Primarily this position would be a consulting role whilst also overseeing the team to maintain and improve quality. We aim to deliver a professional, timely service including reports that are consistent, objective and succinct.
The role would suit someone who is able to work independently, appreciates work flexibility and an adherence to arboricultural standards. $85k + negotiable. Hours, and duties would be negotiated to suit the right person.
Treetec is also involved in a range of activities including training and canopy access for ecology, there are opportunities to work in these fields if interested.
Email or call with any questions.
If you believe you would suit this position please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Treetec does not generally take on tree removal work, we do however have a strong team of canopy access specialists for a range of work – primarily ecological. These projects include nest box placments, habitat stag creation, introduced cavities, scientific canopy based data collection.
We are always interested in knowing good climbers who climb safely, present well and work well in small teams – often staying in remote locations. Particularly those with an interest in biodiversity and the environment.
Contact us if you’re interested.
Arboricultural and ecological work – partnering with Treetec
Treetec undertakes various projects that may require extra personnel, this may be arborists, ecologists and other specialists such as zoologists, climbers or engineers, usually on a short term contract basis or an ongoing arrangement. If this is of interest please feel free to email your details.
We are seeking a suitably qualified instructor to periodically deliver chainsaw training.
We sometimes work in conjunction with other companies, organisations and individiual arborists and ecologists on various projects and are always happy to discuss these types of partnerships.
The work undertaken is often seasonal including specialised climbing jobs, large scale tree survey work and chemical treatments such as for Elm Leaf Beetle. Ongoing we prepare domestic arborist reports, hazard tree audits and hazard tree inspections / reports, installing nest boxes and habitat into trees and other specialist canopy access work.
When larger projects are on we require people who can work unsupervised or within a team, manage their own projects and deliver the safest most professional client outcomes.
Phone:03 8644 8005
For those considering a career within the tree industry as an arborist: some further notes.